Brianan Dolan is a Nutritionist, Naturopath, GAPS Practitioner, Colon Hydrotherapist and Asyra trained therapist. She has trained in the Application of Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice. Brianan Dolan is well versed to look after people’s gut health.
IBS – common symptoms
There are three main patterns of bowel symptoms in IBS. These are recognised by the Rome Ill – diagnostic criteria for functional gastrointestinal disorders as:
- IBS with constipation (IBS — C) when you have repeated bouts of constipation
- IBS with diarrhoea (IBS — D) when you have repeated bouts of diarrhoea
- IBS mixed – when you have repeated bouts of diarrhoea and constipation
The symptoms associated with IBS are:
- Abdominal pain and cramping – often relieved by emptying your bowels
- Bloating and swelling of your abdomen
- A change in your bowel habits – experiencing constipation or diarrhea
- Excessive wind
- An urgent need to go to the toilet
- A feeling that you still need to open your bowels even when you’ve just been
- A feeling that your bowels are not completely empty
- Passing mucus from your bottom
Diarrhoea altemating with constipation is the most common pattern, although some people are diagnosed with IBS for chronic constipation.
However, labelling people with IBS, and defining categories of IBS is pointless as there are no conventional treatments associated with each type other than palliative measures such as laxatives, anti-diarrheals or anti-spasmodics for cramps.
Conventional treatments are palliative at best and do not “cure” the condition
Some GP’s tell people to eat more fibre and try to de-stress. Most people just learn to live with it.
IBS can be very restrictive. Many patients won’t go to a new destination unless they can be assured that there are toilets nearby. Holding a full-time job is very difficult as their bowels are so unpredictable in the mornings and not surprisingly, their social lives are also impacted.
IBS does not have to rule your life, you do not have to “learn to live with it”. It is possible to say goodbye to IBS for good. As IBS is not a disease, merely a collection of symptoms, it is important to identify the causes of your particular “IBS”. Brianan Dolan at the Gastro Clinic can help you to do this, then each element can be addressed and your symptoms will diminish. Imagine, no more IBS!